Archive for caithnessnotorg The Antidote to 'e' org
 


       caithnessnotorg Forum Index -> Ducati's Drag Strip
ducati

Driverless cars.

What is supposed to be the advantage? I get that some people don't like driving, but other than those people who would want one? Personally the whole thing makes me angry, it is as if we are not trusted to drive. It's like we can do something so we should. The people trying to develop artificial intelligence think it could be really bad for the human race. Well just fucking stop it or we will turn into villagers with torches!
mrsbradey

I got me pitch fork at the ready!  Very Happy
mrsbradey

Some folk just can't get their heads round the fact that some of us enjoy driving and being in control!   Rolling Eyes
fred

Re: Driverless cars.

ducati wrote:
What is supposed to be the advantage? I get that some people don't like driving, but other than those people who would want one? Personally the whole thing makes me angry, it is as if we are not trusted to drive. It's like we can do something so we should. The people trying to develop artificial intelligence think it could be really bad for the human race. Well just fucking stop it or we will turn into villagers with torches!


Not having a driver to pay and cars which don't have to return to base will lower the cost of a taxi so much no one will buy cars. One car providing transport for hundreds of people will save resources and lower fossil fuel consumption. You will be able to pick up the phone, a car will stop at your door in minutes and take you where you want to go for little more than the cost of the fuel. Why fork out on depreciation, insurance, tax and repairs for a car of your own? Having taken you where you want to go the car just parks up till someone else rings for a car and it is the nearest.

So efficient.
mrsbradey

Re: Driverless cars.

fred wrote:
ducati wrote:
What is supposed to be the advantage? I get that some people don't like driving, but other than those people who would want one? Personally the whole thing makes me angry, it is as if we are not trusted to drive. It's like we can do something so we should. The people trying to develop artificial intelligence think it could be really bad for the human race. Well just fucking stop it or we will turn into villagers with torches!


Not having a driver to pay and cars which don't have to return to base will lower the cost of a taxi so much no one will buy cars. One car providing transport for hundreds of people will save resources and lower fossil fuel consumption. You will be able to pick up the phone, a car will stop at your door in minutes and take you where you want to go for little more than the cost of the fuel. Why fork out on depreciation, insurance, tax and repairs for a car of your own? Having taken you where you want to go the car just parks up till someone else rings for a car and it is the nearest.

So efficient.
  "Little more than the cost of the fuel" I don't think so! All of the development and research will need to be recouped. Technology might indeed be marvelous, but cheap it is not!
Veekay

I just don't understand why we need driverless cars . If you don't drive there are things called coaches and trains and buses (what is the difference between a bus and a coach anyway?) so do we really need this somewhat worrying 'advance' in motoring?
mrsbradey

Veekay wrote:
I just don't understand why we need driverless cars . If you don't drive there are things called coaches and trains and buses (what is the difference between a bus and a coach anyway?) so do we really need this somewhat worrying 'advance' in motoring?

I agree. I think its a bad move, and will all end in tears!  Crying or Very sad   Crying or Very sad
fred

mrsbradey wrote:
Veekay wrote:
I just don't understand why we need driverless cars . If you don't drive there are things called coaches and trains and buses (what is the difference between a bus and a coach anyway?) so do we really need this somewhat worrying 'advance' in motoring?

I agree. I think its a bad move, and will all end in tears!  Crying or Very sad   Crying or Very sad


It is the future.

When I was at school they didn't allow calculators in the classroom. The teacher said you won't be walking around with a calculator in your pocket all the time. Now I walk round with a computer more powerful than every computer in the world back then put together in my pocket all the time. Shows what he knew.
mrsbradey

fred wrote:
mrsbradey wrote:
Veekay wrote:
I just don't understand why we need driverless cars . If you don't drive there are things called coaches and trains and buses (what is the difference between a bus and a coach anyway?) so do we really need this somewhat worrying 'advance' in motoring?

I agree. I think its a bad move, and will all end in tears!  Crying or Very sad   Crying or Very sad


It is the future.

When I was at school they didn't allow calculators in the classroom. The teacher said you won't be walking around with a calculator in your pocket all the time. Now I walk round with a computer more powerful than every computer in the world back then put together in my pocket all the time. Shows what he knew.
Teachers eh! We're supposed to have hoverboards and visiting the moon resort for our holidays too!  Very Happy
ducati

Re: Driverless cars.

fred wrote:
ducati wrote:
What is supposed to be the advantage? I get that some people don't like driving, but other than those people who would want one? Personally the whole thing makes me angry, it is as if we are not trusted to drive. It's like we can do something so we should. The people trying to develop artificial intelligence think it could be really bad for the human race. Well just fucking stop it or we will turn into villagers with torches!


Not having a driver to pay and cars which don't have to return to base will lower the cost of a taxi so much no one will buy cars. One car providing transport for hundreds of people will save resources and lower fossil fuel consumption. You will be able to pick up the phone, a car will stop at your door in minutes and take you where you want to go for little more than the cost of the fuel. Why fork out on depreciation, insurance, tax and repairs for a car of your own? Having taken you where you want to go the car just parks up till someone else rings for a car and it is the nearest.

So efficient.
really? In London? 5 million driverless cars all heading to pick everyone up to take them to work at the same time?😅
ducati

I've seen the future on the telly, with the odd driverless car puttering about, it presupposes some kind of decimation of the population in some way. Oh, and I seem to remember, to save the day the hero, Mr Stallone, had to find a 1971 Dodge Challenger!
ducati

No, we already have mass transport that works although could always be improved. This is a dead end. It wouldn't be the first one. 10 years ago we were told to go out and buy diesel cars, they were the future, now we are talking about scrappage schemes. Feckin idiots!
fred

ducati wrote:
No, we already have mass transport that works although could always be improved. This is a dead end. It wouldn't be the first one. 10 years ago we were told to go out and buy diesel cars, they were the future, now we are talking about scrappage schemes. Feckin idiots!


No, diesel engines are ancient technology they have been around since the start of motoring when people were saying motor vehicles were noisy smelly things that were dangerous, they scared the horses and kept breaking down. They said they would never catch on, a dead end, rich man's expensive toy. Already had stage coaches what did they need cars for.

I see a computer has beaten the world champion at go so managing to drive without overtaking on blind bends should be a doddle for them, which is more than can be said for many of the human drivers using the A9.
ducati

Ah but what else can the go machine do? Anyway, if I cant have a jet pack then I'M not playing.😠
ducati

BTW. I'd never heard of Go until yesterday. Just how geeky are these computer nerds?
mrsbradey

What is 'go'? :-)

We're all doomed! :-)[/quote]
Veekay

Bring back the steam car, at least in Caithness we would never run out of water
mrsbradey

Veekay wrote:
Bring back the steam car, at least in Caithness we would never run out of water
not a lot of coal mines though! :-)
Veekay

True, we coukd try peats but how about we attach and wind turbine or better still a sail!
ducati

Veekay wrote:
Bring back the steam car, at least in Caithness we would never run out of water


Steam turbines have been tried, the 3000 degree Celsius exhaust temp. was a bit of an issue for pedestrians!😲
mrsbradey

ducati wrote:
Veekay wrote:
Bring back the steam car, at least in Caithness we would never run out of water


Steam turbines have been tried, the 3000 degree Celsius exhaust temp. was a bit of an issue for pedestrians!😲
stuff the pedestrians! :-)
Veekay

At least it would be warm!

       caithnessnotorg Forum Index -> Ducati's Drag Strip
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum